Wednesday 13 June 2018

A trip of a different colour



Every year for the past 10 years or so, my parents have taken a family trip with my sister and her clan.

They usually take off during standard school breaks over the winter when my work is particularly hectic. They always invite me and save for one fun trip to Bermuda, I've had to politely decline.

This year, they invited me to Asia for a cruise visiting Hong Kong, Vietnam and Thailand. It was impossible for me to join them in February. I was bummed. When they got back, they had an email waiting for them. May & June itineraries to ports that we could all enjoy. "Next year, can you aim for one of these?"

Well, my ever-generous dad did me one better and said we should do one this year. And with the same Midas touch that always grants him "dream-spots" when parking, he stumbled upon a great offer from Norwegian Cruise Lines. Basically, the third person in the room was free and I just had to pay for my airfare, port taxes, tips and any extras like shore excursions. WOW!

Our itinerary was slated to begin in Southampton, England, then a day at sea with two stops in Norway, a visit to the Shetland Islands, a sea day en route to Reykjavik where we would have two full days followed by a stop at Akureyri, Iceland, another sea day followed by stops in Orkney Islands, Scotland, Invergordon, Edinburgh and one last sea day before returning to Southampton. Two weeks, three countries and one happy girl.

Fort Charlotte, Lerwick, Shetland Islands, U.K.

So those of you who have followed my previous adventures know that I'm usually solo and usually *in* the water rather than *on* it. This was a trip of a different colour but there was room for all kinds of experiences. If you care to, please follow along for more blog entries. I'll be telling you about how impressed I was with the staff and services onboard Norwegian Jade, the wonders to be seen in Scotland, the abundant wildlife and fun beach and snorkelling I found in Iceland and of course, whales!

How could I do a trip report without some mention of whales, right?

There might also be some humorous anecdotes about my mother. Sweet lady, totally wack though.

Apple don't fall far from the tree. Okay, I'm dusting off my travel-writing pen. More to come!

2 comments:

Thank you for your feedback!